History of the Association
When the Active Regiment demobilized in 1946, many Horse Guards were anxious to form some sort of organization so that the comradeship and good feeling that existed between all ranks while on active service could be maintained and carried on into the future, but not until November, 1949 was The Governor General's Horse Guards Association formed. The first President was Mr. Arthur Finn, one of the highly respected Warrant Officers who had served the init in the capacity of Regimental Sergeant Major.
During the years 1950 and 1951, the Association encountered and overcame many difficulties and today it continues to be one of the most active Associations in Canada with membership from all ranks. These members can be found in Canada from coast to coast and throughout the United States and in England.
Harold Finbow, R.W. (Bud) Green and George Bentley have, in turn, succeeded Mr. Finn as President and each one of these Presidents has continued the good work that began in 1950. Meetings are held monthly at the Armoury in Toronto with the record attendance being set in February, 1954, when 140 Members were on hand. Each Memorial Sunday, the Association parades with the Regiment on the Annual Memorial Service and on each Remembrance Day the Association places a wreath at the Tank Monument in York Cemetery, in Honour of our Fallen "Comrades".
The Association's Executive Committee is very active, with particular attention being given to support those Horse Guards on deployment and providing bursaries to Members of the Regiment pursuing a post-secondary education. Our Veterans' Representative, maintains ongoing contact with the families of our elderly Veterans and throughout the year, the Association participates in social events that include, golfing, curling, Darts Night and the Black Hat Barbecue, all aimed at promoting camaraderie among its members and the serving members of the Regiment.